Follow Maniacs' Almanac by Email

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Graphic Goodbye to 30 ROCK

For seven years I was the lead graphic designer on 30 ROCK.
For most of seasons 1-4
 I was the only graphic designer on 30 ROCK.
This is where I worked.

This is the door to my office on 30 ROCK.
I have a corner office.
The Teamsters are right next door.
I curse more.
"You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like Heaven." - Jimi Hendrix
Next to Jimi: A short bio of the assassinated activist, Fred Hampton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hampton
Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island, Me and Roseanne at her book signing,
Tina on a toilet with a rubber chicken up her butt and beer wrapped around her head,
Beetlejuice from the Stern Show and Los Angeles Gangster Girls also
welcome you to My World.
My co-workers could not decide if I was the
Ghostface Killah, Kanye West or Michael Buble of Graphics.
They finally decided I am the Travis Bickle of Graphics. 

You are now inside my office, with the door closed.
No one can hear you scream.

That's me in that Crime Stoppers Poster we made for set.
Layout by Mike Pantuso.

Rum label by Mike Pantuso. Rum by Captain Morgan.

That I Got Mugged pamphlet
is available to read on NBC.com
I wrote all the copy except for the title.


Always give from the heart.
Friendly enough.
Caricature of Jack Donaghy by Kevin Ladson.

You can read one of my fake Page Sixes on this blog if you scroll back a few posts.
I am far more vicious than the New York Post















Garter boxes say, "If I get married... ...four times."

Underneath my cry for help is a design for a board game that I designed,
called No Problem. The goal of the game is to fix as many of the
world's problems as you can. Whoever fixes the most wins.
This is my cry for help.

Jane has been brave enough to hang out with me in this
crazy room several times over the years.
She is The BEST!
Fake kiddie magazine cover that my printer was playing with.
Stop staring at me and get back to WORK! - Don Geiss



This is how we decorate in the Knuckle Beach Playground.
Graffiti on Bruce Willis' face.

Tina Fey, Black Jesus. Paul Giamatti
and a classic NBC star whose name escapes me.
30 ROCK has been my religion, Tina and the writers, my Gods.
That's a real 1950's picture of a real bride showing some leg on her wedding day.
This is where my Partner in crime, Mike Pantuso sits.
He gracefully accepted the walls he inherited when he came on board.

That is a first draft photoshop of Tracy and the NASA Astronauts.
I made that for the REAL NASA Astronauts!! They are pals of Jane Krakowski.
They took it into space with them, along with a signed script
from Robert Carlock for his episode Apollo, Apollo.
YES! My Graphic! My Print! Went into space with a Robert Carlock SCRIPT!
Alec Baldwin has been documented saying one of his favorite
things on the 30 ROCK set are the Jack Donaghy Photoshops.
I think the Pope one was done by someone at Broadway Video for the pilot.

Oh baby! I'm gonna miss this job.
Made this Food Taint Hot Zone Map for one of  Peter Dinklage's scenes
on 30 ROCK and I made sure that all the info on the map
is real, based on actual statistics and data.
My Genius cap says Dunce on the other side

My relationship with technology. 
I am organized, I swear.















































Red Sonja was the first comic book I ever read!

The handwritten page is a journal entry of a co-worker.
It was a perfect expression of how 30 ROCK took over our lives.
It says, "After a long, broke and sweat- filled,
emotional summer I'm back at work at 30 ROCK."
That was the last thing she wrote for six months.
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the
sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali

My printer is in there somewhere.
That's a picture of Tina and I
next to a giant Meat Cat cake made by the Ace of Cakes based
on my design of The Cheesy Blasters Mascot Liz Lemon
gave birth to in a dream.
A Recovery CD by Eminem is a crucial part of my decor.
Thank you, NBC!





There is a note from 30 ROCK writer, Tami Sagher
in the upper left corner that says,
"Hi Yvonne. Let me know if you need drawing tips."
The Bathroom Girls are my comic book.

On the right: Drawings from my first sketchbook.
I drew punkrockers on almost every page.
See more of my 9 year old creativity at:
 http://www.BathroomGirls.com/5th_grade2.html
Jack Johnson, Barack Obama, Eminem, three of my favorite men.
Random is beautiful.
The baby that is cursing me out is my print vendor's child.
"Pay my Daddy, Bitch!
DeBoer Media, best printers in the world!
The cartoon is my baby, my Gay Little Baby.
My baby has a website: GayLittleBaby.com

Eminem is reading How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie






The Pac-Man dragon is witchcraft that keeps all tech drama at bay.
There is no cure for the panic attacks I experience at frequent and
random intervals when I re-realize that Steve Jobs is gone from this world.



Kimiko Tan, Meat Cat are my designs.
The Centipede of Fun was drawn by 30 Rock Star and Writer, Paula Pell.
The Meat Cat animation on 30 ROCK was done by Curious Pictures.



Beautiful fan letter to Alec Baldwin that I stole.
Good Times with John Amos on the 30 ROCK set!
In the foreground:
 An official Sheinhardt Wig Company
Magical Thinking Cap.



Use your mind grapes.
Me at my desk, my laptop is behind me.
This big mess came out of that small robot.